Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the tackle law keeping up with the game?

Go down

Is the tackle law keeping up with the game? Empty Is the tackle law keeping up with the game?

Post by quind Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:54 am

To celebrate my 1000th post to this esteemed board I thought I'd put up something about where rugby is as a game, and how refs/coaches may want the game tidied up a little. And because it's such fun I though we'd look at the tackle law, and in particular what rights the tackler has and should have.

There will at some point be a push to tidy up the tackle area under the claim it will make the game easier to follow for player, fan and referee. And high on this list will be to ensure the tackler only has the same rights as other players arriving at the tackle. It does make it simpler to ref, and for the attacking team it'll be much easier to resource putting men into the breakdown.

The speed with which we now have a player on his feet, over the ball carrier, has really changed what it's possible to do as an attacking team. OK if you're spot on with your clean out you can play, but the difficult of doing so is why teams kick so much when there's nowhere to really kick to, and it feels like there's no purpose, it's just deemed better to not have the ball. For the refs it's a puzzle how legal the defender is, did they go off their feet, have the regained their feet, did they release and are they back on the ball before a ruck is formed?

Rugby union is supposed to be about a contest for the ball, but whilst we've had tackler release, and indeed tackler assist release, and it's even enforced on occasion we still have a mess. I want there to be a contest, but if the team with the ball want to kick it away to avoid a contest something isn't right. And so is the law up to speed with the modern game, or does it need more refinement, and if it is changed can we keep the game union not league?

quind
Admin

Location : escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground

Back to top Go down